Henry Wynd-Young of New York designed three windows that were in place for the 1916 dedication of the building.

The Fuller Chapel Window

The window over the Altar of the Fuller Chapel was give by J. Franklin Fuller in memory of his wife.   It’s four panels depict the the Angel of Annunciation (Gabriel) bringing news of the coming of the Lord to the Virgin and the Angel of Consolation (Rapheal)  bringing comfort to the Mater Dolorosa (Mother of Sorrows).   

“the Gift of God is Eternal (Romans 6:23) is inscribed across the bottom of the window.

The overall silvery effect of the window is reminiscent of fifteenth century glass.  The various tints of white create the icy effect and are an example of Young’s trademark subtle palette.  There are no straight lines, reminding us that this window is truly handmade.

The glass was imported from England.  The rich texture of the pinks and purples came from the gold dust that was mixed with the pigment in the molten glass.


The virgin figure was directly inspired by a similar window in the Chapel of New College in Oxford, England.   The overall silvery effect of the window is reminiscent of fifteen century glass.  

The angel holds white lilies symbolic of Mary’s purity.






The Mother of sorrows is comforted by Raphael.  A communion chalice is above the angel and the angel holds a golden censer which is filled with incense that came with the prayers of all of the saints. 









The Phillips Memorial Window


The theme of this window is “blessed are they that mourn, they shall be comforted” from the Beatitudes.  (Matthew 5:4)

This window presents an image of Mary, robed in blue, being comforted by a multitude of angels.  The inscription in the quatrefoil at the top includes the wors, “Love Suffereth Long” which may be from I Corinthians 13:4.    

The window has a wide pallet of reds.  Also note the many other colors of glass including vivid purple and chartreuse as well as the jewel like qualities of white glass.


Balcony Window


The window that is now at the rear of the church in the balcony area was the temporary east window (over the Altar) at the time of the church’s dedication.  It was moved to the rear of the church when the Mothers’s Window was put in place in 1926.

The dedication notes indicate that this was a Henry Wynd-Young window and that it is an exact reproduction of the new window in St Thomas’ Church in New York.